Do you have a ground squirrel infestation and are wondering what do ground squirrels hate? Look no further! In this article, we will discuss everything that pesky ground squirrels despise. From loud noises to bright motion detector lights learn what you can do to keep these pests away from your property.
Ground squirrels are a type of rodent that can be found in many parts of the world. While they may seem like cute and harmless creatures, they can actually do a lot of damage to your property. Ground squirrels are known to chew through cables, dig up gardens, and even steal food from bird feeders.
If you have a ground squirrel infestation, the best thing you can do is try to figure out what they hate. There are many things that ground squirrels dislike, so it is important to know what will bother them the most.
11 Things Ground Squirrels Hate
There are a number of things that ground squirrels hate, from predator urine, traps, poison, dogs, and cats.
- Predator urine: Ground squirrels are prey animals and are terrified of predators, so the strong smell of a predator’s urine is an effective way to scare them off. You can buy predator urine online and at most hunting supply stores. You’ll want to buy fox urine, bobcat urine, or coyote urine. While not urine, skunk essence is another odor these critters despise.
- Traps: Trapping is one of the most effective ways to get rid of ground squirrels. There are a number of different types of traps available, so be sure to do your research before choosing one. Live squirrel trap that repeats is the way to go! You can catch multiple ground squirrels at one time.
- Use nuts and seeds as bait
- Peanut butter is another great bait
- Chicken scratch works too!
- Poison: Poison is another effective way to get rid of ground squirrels, but it should be used as a last resort due to the risk it poses to kids and pets.
- Loud noise: Ground squirrels are also scared of loud noises, so playing a radio or banging on pots and pans can help scare them off.
- Bright light: Ground squirrels are also afraid of light, so shining a flashlight or installing motion-activated lights can help deter them.
- Exclusion: One of the best ways to get rid of ground squirrels is to keep squirrels from coming onto your garden by sealing up any holes or cracks in fencing they could use to enter.
- Use hardware cloth on the bottom of raised garden beds to keep ground squirrels from tunneling into your garden boxes.
- Fence areas you do not want grounds squirrels to enter with chicken wire.
- Make sure trash bins are not squirrel accessible.
- Eliminate access to food sources and water sources.
- Repellents: There are a number of different types of repellents available that can help keep ground squirrels away. Be sure to choose a repellent that is safe for use around pets and children.
- Cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil will repel these pests because they hate this distinct odor.
- Use smells squirrels hate – coffee grounds, peppermint oil, etc.
- Repellent spray
- Scaring devices: Scare tactics like using a fake owl or snake can also help keep ground squirrels away.
- Dogs: Dogs are an effective way to keep ground squirrels away, as they will bark and chase them off.
- Cats: Cats are also effective at keeping ground squirrels away, but they may also kill them.
- Habitat modification: Ground squirrels need a place to hide and nest, so modifying their habitat can help discourage them from living on your property. This includes trimming back bushes and removing debris.
- Remove bird feeders or get a squirrel proof bird feeder.
- Pick up fallen fruit from underneath fruit trees.
What Do Ground Squirrels Hate – Coffee Grounds?
It’s a question that’s been asked many times – do squirrels hate coffee grounds? Some people believe that the caffeine in coffee grounds is poisonous to squirrels, but there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, squirrels are known to eat coffee beans and may even enjoy the taste of coffee.
Do Squirrels Hate The Smell of Dryer Sheets?
Squirrels naturally hate the smell of dryer sheets. However, dryer sheets lose their scent fairly quickly so they are not a lasting determent.
What to Plant That Repels Squirrels?
Have you noticed your tomato plants have blooms but never get fruits? Your garden may be getting robbed by ground squirrels.
If you have a garden and see signs of ground squirrel damage, there are some plants you can grow to keep them away. Some good choices include:
Flowers and Flower Bulbs Squirrels Do Not Like
In addition to plants, ground squirrels avoid a variety of different foods. Some specific items that will keep these critters away include:
- Hot peppers (fresh peppers but a bottle of tabasco may work in a pinch).
- Cayenne pepper
Ground squirrels can be a nuisance and even destructive to your property. If you have these rodents on your land, there are several ways to get rid of them. Try one of the methods we’ve outlined and you should see a decrease in the ground squirrel population in no time.
If you have a serious infestation, consider hiring professional pest control to deal with ground squirrel control before the problem gets even worse! The ground squirrel lifespan is quick and they will multiply.
Ground Squirrel Week 1918
Here’s a crazy story of when the State of California begged school kids to poison ground squirrels. The State offered schools prizes for pushing their agenda. When ground squirrel week was finished 104,509 squirrel tails had been turned in. Read this crazy squirrel story here.